Friday, April 22, 2011

"Is There No Truth In Beauty?"


There came a time when words failed me, and the world looked a little darker than I had once remembered. At twelve years old, horizon lines were painted navy laced with grey, rather than plum purples and deep peaches that one becomes accustom too.  I woke up miserable every morning, and most nights I felt like a feather tossed into the eye of a hurricane.

I shed my own blood on a weekly basis. Once a week reached
every day, and soon enough I was cutting myself up to four or five times each day until I was a sophomore in high school. Without fail,  the moment I drew a blade across my skin, tension would ease, and my body relax despite the searing, aching pain. Yet, the emptiness I felt inside remained; nothing and no one could fill the void that I so desperately wished I could simply toss into the wind. I thought, maybe, if I filled it up with blood, it would drown the trauma, and set me straight.

*

I somehow managed to get a hold of a camera my eighth grade year. After school, while my mother was at work, my father was asleep, and my younger brothers were off somewhere with my grandfather, I would take pictures. The viewfinder found and captured anything and everything in my path.

When I discovered MySpace, I got the courage one afternoon to take a picture of myself and post it up on the page. A simple shot, straight on, and that was all it took. Soon enough, I began playing with camera angles. I learned that my "good side" was to the left, my face looked thinner at an elevated angle, and my forehead was entirely too big to be shot head on.

After a few weeks, I tinkered with some computer programs and eventually found photo editing software loaded onto the system. Crop, re-size, color saturation, hue, brightness, and contrast were the only options available, but boy, did I make them work. Before I knew it, I was editing dozens of pictures on a daily basis, hundreds monthly.

At fifteen, I started researching free photo editing programs on the Internet that could help me expand my editing capabilities. I found one that worked wonders: Picasa. Although not as in depth as Photoshop, it got the job done and I still use it today.

I lost nearly all of my earliest photographs due to a memory malfunction in an old camera, and I haven't had much time to take photos recently. I plan to pick up photography upon settling myself in Indiana. Taking and editing pictures was one of the most relaxing hobbies I have ever attempted, and I cannot wait to start up again. It gave me an outlet of emotion, creativity, and ultimately a voice at a time in which I felt I had little to live for. I hope to save up for a more professional camera some day in the future, take a few photography classes, and make this a lifelong hobby. Maybe I will even attempt some senior pictures, and a wedding or two. :)

Here is a sample of a few pictures I have taken over the years.

Taken and edited at 14
Taken and edited at 14 years old


Taken and edited at 15


Two different takes on a single picture taken of my eye last year

Taken in Clifty Falls Park last summer


Taken in Clifty Falls Park last summer
Taken in front of Knox Learning Center last year
Taken and edited a month ago
Taken and edited today

No comments:

Post a Comment