Sunday, March 20, 2011

"The more I see of men, the more I like dogs."

I am a dog person, as is my fiance. The two of us have owned dogs our entire lives, and simply put, we cannot picture a future without a couple of them running around a backyard.  Joshua and I have had dozens of conversations about what kinds of dogs we would like to own (upon my move to Indiana and finding our own place.)

Before I continue, I must say that the two of us technically have a dog together presently. Just before Christmas time, Joshua and I were looking into adopting a dog, for we had both lost our companions in one summer. My 11-year-old Black Labrador, Midge, passed away two months before I entered college. A few months prior, Joshua's red-haired Blue Tick named Thor, age 4, had passed on due to over a dozen consecutive seizures. Upon weeks of searching through many animal shelter's websites, we found Wolfie, a Siberian Husky, near Madison, Indiana.

This is what Midge looked like as a puppy.

Joshua and Thor

Wolfie Blaze

Wolfie is about a year old, and currently lives in a spacious pen with Mike's (Joshua's stepfather) dog, Peanut, age 4. The two of them get along pretty well, although we are still trying to break Wolfie of some food dominance issues. Wolfie absolutely loves the outdoors, especially playing in freshly fallen snow. He is surprisingly gentle with people. He doesn't bite or behave aggressively; he won't even take food from your hand unless he is continuously encouraged that it is alright.  

Peanut. I am pretty sure he is a mutt.
Save my infant years, I have become accustomed to family dogs living indoors. It was quite difficult for me to accept that Wolfie and Peanut had to live outdoors, even though they were properly provided for and perfectly safe. I am, however, constantly reminded that most Huskies prefer the outdoors to indoors anyway. I try to remember that, in spite of the absolute pain it brings my heart, in order to maintain peace of mind.

I have very thoroughly thought about which breed of dog I would like to make an indoor companion. I have also thought about what type of dog would make a nice playmate for Wolfie outside. I have considered the following breeds...

This picture can be found at: www.innocentenglish.com/funny-amazing-pictures-videos/cute-kitten-puppy-animal-pics/puppy-breeds/australian-shepherd-puppy-pictures-info.html
Australian Shepherd

I personally adore blue eyes on a dog. For years now, I've wanted an animal with brown fur (all of my past dogs have been solid black.)



This picture can be found at: http://www.dailypuppy.com/puppies/josie-the-labrador-retriever_2008-12-22
 Chocolate Labrador

Labs are one of the friendliest dog breeds I have ever come into contact with, and I have owned quite a few. However, they tend to be rather free-spirited: translation, they run off A LOT!

This image can be found at: http://www.dailypuppy.com/puppies/riley-the-nova-scotia-duck-tolling-retriever_2010-11-24
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

This dog seemed to be a combination of the above breeds: a reddish brown shade, blue eyes, and the friendliness of a retriever type.

Of course, Joshua and I have bounced different breeds off of one another. In doing so, we agreed upon two matters. One, we would not bring in another hound, for it would upset Josh too much. Two, we would not own any breed of dog smaller than a Beagle. Joshua's mother has a full blooded Chihuahua named Tessy, and apparently she is rather easy to trample (hence, why the larger dogs were kept outside in the first place.)

That being said, when I first discovered that Joshua's absolute favorite breed of dog was the Great Dane, I about had a heart attack. I'm fairly certain I will be able to sway him in the direction of one of my choices. After all, the woman rules, right? ;). Even though they are commonly regarded as "gentle giants," good lord, those things are ginormous.  

This image can be found at: http://www.salsabarrio.com/index.php?page=about
 Can you even image!?! Dear God, I'd be afraid that it would squish my future children.

3 comments:

  1. I vote for the shepherd! But if you think about it... The dane isn't so bad. Here's a URL for info on the Irish Wolfhound: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/irishwolfhound.htm

    Seven foot standing on its hind legs?... Woah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shepherd. I will own one of them before I die. It's one of the most beautiful dogs I have ever seen!

    I'm probably gonna cave on the Great Dane, though. As long as I get to name it. Haha.

    The Wolfhound is pretty cute and scruffy. :). Joshua might end up wanting one if he looks it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for me, though I love my golden and the motley crew of mutts I have owned, I want a Newfie (except for the slobber, of course!).

    ReplyDelete