Sunday, February 27, 2011

Niagra Falls

My bucket list composed of places to go, people to meet, and things to do before I die, grows longer by the week. Many items on that list rank amongst a number of very cliché goals, such as going to a beach, Disneyland, maybe even the Grand Canyon. However, I have a certain place in mind that I surely cannot go a lifetime without visiting: Niagara Falls.


This image can be found at:
http://www.worldtourismplace.com/tourist-attraction-niagara-falls-usa/
I have heard a thing or two about one of the world’s most famous waterfalls. I know there have been plenty of individuals that in one way or another made their way onto and off of the falls, some surviving and others not. I also know that Niagara Falls extends across the national boundaries of the United States and Canada, although as to which side is visually more appealing lies in one’s own personal opinion. I feel as though the reason I lack knowledge on the subject is simply because I do not want to learn about the falls via research, fun facts, and online images. I want to experience Niagara Falls.

I don't want to imagine what the water smells like when it dances through the air, waltzing straight into my nostrils; I want to taste it vibrantly upon my tongue and remember it fondly. I want to hear the rushing water caressing the port and starboard sides of The Maid of the Mist, and the awe of tourists as I slowly pass the falling waters.

The remainder of the day will be filled with the consumption of pricey food, visiting a museum or two, a romantic stroll through New York, maybe Canada, with my other half. Then, the sleepy autumn sun tucks itself into the bed of the horizon, unveiling a mass of evening stars and the crisp, harvest moon. That's when the falls light up a sense of hope, and the magic of this world becomes a little bit clearer.

This image can be found at:
http://www.worldtourismplace.com/tourist-attraction-niagara-falls-usa/
I pray that my mind preserves those moments better than my pale pink Canon camera can, so I can flip through the album that is my memory, and actually be there, overlooking the falls once more.

5 comments:

  1. Writers see the magic, as you've so well pointed out here. Don't forget to visit the Singing Caves (I think that's what they are called) where you can stand underneath the falls! Have you read "The Falls" by Joyce Carol Oates? This novel centers on tragedy, but Oates' writing is indeed magic itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A worthy goal I would say, one I may have to add to some mental bucket list of my own. My parents went there for their honey moon and in a castle looking at the falls she said that's where she was told my name. Anyways, I have this plaque of the falls, from their honeymoon, that for years was hanging next to my doorway. I have misplaced it... actually nvm. I just went to look and found that it's still there. Seriously, as long as I can remember living in this house, which is close to 16 years, that plaque has always been there. I've taken it from it's nail above my light switch maybe twice? You would like it. The picture was taken from one side of the falls, looking across across them to a faint orange sunset lighting the misty breath of the falls, and there are outcroppings of rocks with a red and gold glisten that makes the waters seem like they are rising in steam around the rocks. Real awesome, I'm taking this back to my dorm room. Can't believe after so many years this great picture ((and dream of mine) there I go summarizing things with my writing again) has blended in with the background of my room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elias, that is absolutely touching and inspiring. Jeeez, I wish I could write like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Amber. I am sure when you do see the falls that you will take in that moment, and remember the experience for the rest of your life. I liked the sleepy sun imagery by the way, it made me think of the sun goin to bed then dreaming about stars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a very good goal, I have already been to Niagra Falls and I can tell you it is beautiful, I went on the Maid of the Mist which is a boat that they take you on and you can feel the mist of the water coming off of the falls. I hope you get to go there someday! You will love it!

    ReplyDelete